PACKING FOR THE HOSPITAL: WHAT YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO BRING IN YOUR BAG



If you're anything like I was, packing your hospital bag is looming on your to-do list.
I get it, you don't want to pack too soon, but also don't want to be in labor, contracting, and scrambling to grab last minute items!

I researched many blogs before making my list and officially packing. But I'm here to tell you that a lot of the stuff you're worried about not forgetting won't even make it out of the bag!
That's why I want to share a few key things that are essential in benefiting your hospital stay!


*Be sure to check your hospitals website and ask your doctor what all the hospital provides. My hospital provided quite a bit, which saved room in my bag for more important things.*



 PERI BOTTLE:
The hospital provides you with one, but I'm here to help your lady bits by telling you to bring your own. This will save you at the hospital and at home. Trust me, you'll want to use this during the first pee, and many postpartum pees after that!

*I'll go more in depth about this & other things that will bring relief during postpartum in my next blog.
*My hospital also provided Dermaplast & cold pads for PP relief.


SNACKS:
Baby making it's world debut and hours of the hospital cafe may not be aligned, so having a bag of snacks will be your saving grace. After hours of laboring (you can't eat once you're admitted), your grumbling stomach will thank you! Also great for your partner or support person if they get hungry during the stay too.
Bonus points if your hospital room has a refrigerator to stash drinks!


NIPPLE CREAM:
Remember that nipple cream I mentioned in my last post? Yeah, you'll need it during your stay at the hospital too. If you do choose to breastfeed, the nurses literally stick baby on your tit the moment he/she comes out! After that baby eats around the clock (every two hours), therefore sore and tired nipples are in your future. Nipple cream will relieve some of the pain, and make for a better breastfeeding experience overall.


PADS & PANTIES:
Let's face it, you can have a birth plan but God and your baby have a plan of their own. You don't really know what your postpartum journey will look like, so having different pad sizes and panty options is essential. 
 Personally, I liked the mesh underwear the hospital provides. It was comfortable and I didn't have to worry about ruining my own! The pads in the hospital are huge, but again, I didn't mind them and liked the protection they provided. As a result, I didn't even open my PP panties or pads until I was back home! You may feel differently about the hospitals options, so still pack your own.
*Be sure to ask for extra pads & mesh underwear each day. You can take home whatever you don't use at the hospital. I actually left in a pair of mesh undies, and had a few pairs for my first days at home!*


PHONE CHARGER:
This is a given, but don't forget it! 
Between family texts, overloading your camera roll with newborn pics, and FaceTime calls, you'll be happy you threw that extra charger in your bag.


TRAVEL SIZED TOILETRIES:
No matter how many hours you labor, a shower will feel amazing! Save room in your bag by bringing minis of your essentials. 
Face wash, body wash, lotion, and dry shampoo is all I recommend. 
Hats off to you if you want to wash your hair in the hospital shower. I styled mine before we left, and just touched up with dry shampoo.
You could totally bring your own towel too. Tbh, hospital towels aren't the most luxurious. Just keep in mind postpartum bleeding, and laundry once you get home.
Oh, and don't forget your toothbrush!


CHAPSTICK:
Birth and postpartum welcomes you to lots of things, one being extremely dry lips. You'll want to have a tube bedside for easy application!
 

BABY HATS, MITTENS, & SOCKS:
Babies need to stay warm and have suuuuper sharp nails. You'll want to have multiple of these items handy. The hospital will give you one of those nostalgic newborn hats, but if you're anything like me, you already have matching hats & mittens picked out for pictures!


BABY BLANKET/SWADDLE:
While the nurses at the hospital are swaddling experts, you will not be. Swaddling that noodle newborn baby is much harder than it looks! Save yourself, and Dad, the headache and pack different size blankets and swaddling options (velcro, zip-up, etc). Looking back, this is the one thing I wish I brought more of- especially bigger "swaddle" blankets. You will eventually learn your preference, and what works for you and your baby.
When all else fails, the hospital blankets and a few lessons from the nurses is all you will need!


SLIPPERS/ COMFY SHOES:
You'll eventually want nothing more than to get out of that hospital bed and walk around. Bring something you can easily slip on and off (you won't be able to touch your toes again juuust yet) and that feels good on those new mama feet!


NURSING BRA/ ROBE/ SLEEP-DRESS:
Just like the bed, you'll eventually want to get out of the hospital gown too! If you plan to breastfeed, changing into something easily accessible for baby is key. Being in your own clothes will help you feel refreshed, more relaxed, and ready for a new day with your new baby!


TWO GOING HOME OUTFITS:
Shocker, but your stomach doesn't automatically shrink once baby comes out. Like I mentioned before, your birth plan may change in the moment and as a result your body may feel different than expected when it's finally time to go home. When packing think cozy and light. You may surprise yourself and feel more comfortable in a tighter, more secure option, so bring that as well.
Personally I did pack both, but ended up leaving my my trusty sweats and graphic tee.

Some good options are:
- Light, flowy sundress
- Loose fitting pj pants or sweats
- Oversized/ comfortable t-shirt
- Nursing tank (with comfortable bottoms) or Nursing dress

Just knowing that you have options in your bag will help to reduce in the moment stress.


MULTIPLE BABY GOING HOME OUTFITS:
While we're on the subject of going home outfits, let's talk about baby's too!
Doctors and sonograms can be up to 2 pounds off, so having newborn and 0-3 month size outfits in your bag is "crucial". You won't want to have all newborn, or all 0-3, and then have your support person rushing home to get options!
Packing a few cute onesies, or other outfits is nice as well. This way you can try them on baby before going home (and it makes for cute pictures).
This may have been my favorite thing to pack. I still look at what we brought Celine home in and can't believe how tiny she was!


*Take all, and I really mean ALL THE THINGS from the hospital. Don't be afraid to ask for extras.
I collected a stash each day, and by the end of our stay had a good amount of postpartum and baby items to take home!*


Frida Mom Peri Bottle-




Having your bags packed means that baby's due date is nearing!!
I know this is such a nerve-racking but exciting time!
The saying, "Your body was made to do this" is true. It's amazing how strong us women are, and what are bodies are able to do.
Enjoy the ups and downs of labor. It may be long, but it will go by quick.
And remember to breathe!



xo,



1 comment