POSTPARTUM PRODUCTS: What helped me heal after birth

 
When I sat down to write this post a million thoughts went through my head, but one stood out the most-
How do I share everything I wish I would've known I needed after giving birth?!

Everyone preps you for birth. There are plenty of La Maze classes to teach you proper breathing techniques and different birthing positions. Articles that give you insight on what to expect during your hospital stay. Even newborn baby behavior and safety courses. But no one really prepares you for what happens to your body after baby arrives.


I eventually want to share my birth story and first few weeks postpartum, for it really affected my journey and healing process. But first, I want to share a few things that truly helped and provided comfort during my weeks at home after the hospital.

*all products are linked in pink*



Underwear is a big part of postpartum. These are like an upgraded hospital underwear and honestly, so amazing! These disposable undies are high waisted, perfect for c-section moms to not irritate their incision, or to keep your tummy feeling secure. The stretchy material makes it easy to get on and off on your own. These kept all my pads and other relief layers in place, no sliding around or uncomfortable bunching. They are a bit on the pricey side for how many you get in a pack (8), so personally I would wear the same pair a couple of times, changing the pads and such at each trip to the bathroom. Obviously if my body had other plans that day, I would put on a new pair when necessary.
These panties now come in a boy short brief, which I bet are equally as great and comfortable! 


**I went through two packs before I felt comfortable enough switching to my cotton PP panties.**



Everyone always talks about how scary the first poop after birth is. Sure, hemorrhoids and prolapse are terrifying things, but no one really warns you about the first few pees!
Whether you tear with or without needing stitches, you will want to throw out the peri bottle the hospital provides and replace it with this one! I honestly can't express how much this product saved me during postpartum. I had a small tear but didn't need stitches- sounds great right?! Yeah I thought so too, until about the third day home when I found myself hysterically crying on the toilet because it hurt so bad to pee. Imagine a paper cut down there. The design of this peri bottle makes it easy to provide relief to the spots that need it the most, without getting your hands dirty. It also comes with a waterproof carrying bag to makes transportation easy and mess proof. I brought mine in the diaper bag to those first newborn checkups incase an emergency bathroom break was needed!
Pro tip- start spraying BEFORE peeing to avoid any initial sting. 
Upside Down Peri Bottle
*also photobombed above*



No matter the outcome of your natural birth, tears, stitches, etc, you will want relief. These cooling pads are infused with witch hazel, and without all the things that are bad for down there such as, chemicals, dyes, and fragrances. Unlike other round relief pads these are long and rectangular, providing full coverage front to back with just one liner! No layering, stacking, or praying things don't shift once you pull up your panties. They are cooling, which helps with swelling and provides instant relief. I honestly can't tell you enough how these literally made my recovery so much better! Peeing was something I never looked forward to, but pulling my panties up knowing the relief I was getting from these liners was.
*Apparently you can put them in the fridge for even more cooling relief*




Like I said before, underwear is a very important part of postpartum. You want a pair that makes you feel secure, comfortable, and protected against leaks. I graduated from my Frida Mom panties to these when I felt more at ease with what was happening down there. These panties are high waisted and full coverage, but not as granny-like as your generic brief. The thick waistband stays in place while providing light support, or as their description says, "no compression but perfectly snuggish". Even if your belly isn't back to pre-baby, these undies help you feel tight in the right places without any uncomfortable digging. A perfect pair whether you had a c-section or a vaginal birth!
I can also attest to no bunching or unpleasant pressure under pants/leggings!
Personally I got a large, which fit great throughout my full postpartum body transformation. Tbh, I will sometimes still wear these when it's that time of the month. The light tummy control is great for bloating too!




While we're on the subject of things that give you support, lets talk about these leggings. 
Honestly, I was a little hesitate to purchase these, but many months later I am here to tell you that I LIVED in them! Granted, I could not fit them until about 4-6 weeks postpartum because they were just too tight for my liking before then (I purchased a medium). However, once my belly deflated a bit more, these leggings provided just the right amount of compression and support without being suffocating! One element I really loved was how high waisted they really were. I felt comfortable wearing just these and a nursing bra somedays because of how much coverage they provided on my belly.
Looking back, between baby spit up and milk spills, I should've purchased two pairs to cut down on laundry!




I've mentioned my favorite robe before, and I am here to mention it again!
You'll want something that makes you feel good and snuggly, besides your new baby, while you heal. This robe is made of the softest, yet lightweight material. Great for those random postpartum hot flashes no one warns you about. Plus the added convenience it provides while nursing a baby all day long! Somedays shirts are just not realistic those first few weeks.




Yes, I'm going to mention one more pair of panties!
I figured somedays I would want to get out of my high-waisted options. Not only was I right, but very happy I planned ahead and had these stored away. When I tell you these are the most comfortable panties, believe me! The boxer brief cut and thick waistband are flattering, the cotton material is soft yet breathable, and the tag-free design ensures no annoying scratches. They are cute enough to wear around the house alone, but the fact that they don't ride up makes them pair well under clothes too. I purchased mine in a large which fit comfortably throughout postpartum, and my body today.




These don't look like much online, but I am here to tell you that in person they are the most comfortable pj pants you will ever own! Made by the same brand and material as my favorite robe mentioned above, they provide the same lightweight comfort I love. These pajama pants are breathable, and feel amazing against your skin. The stretchy waistband is perfect for whatever stage your postpartum body is at, while the drawstring allows for additional adjustments. Just like the robe, they also have pockets deep enough to carry all the things a new mom needs! No matter the season, I promise you will be reaching for these over and over again!
I purchased a medium. They fit perfectly during postpartum, as well as today.




These werent my favorite things to wear, but essential in the beginning while your supply evens out. The non-irritating adhesive keeps the pads in place, while the waterproof lining gives you the confidence of no leaks. I loved that these were individually wrapped. You can throw them in the diaper bag, your purse, even your pocket, ensuring convenient and sanitary protection every time!




If you're a new mom or soon-to-be, you've probably seen this product all over the internet! While I plan on going more in-depth in a breastfeeding post, I wanted to include it here as well for it did provide [me] postpartum relief. There are soo many uses for the Haakaa. The most common being to "catch" letdown that would otherwise leak onto your shirt or breast pad. This was one of the main purposes I eventually used it for, however during those first few days when my milk came in, it saved me in other ways! Long story short, the flanges my breast pump came with were too big. This basically meant I was engorged beyond belief, even hand expressing wasn't enough! I was fortunate to have a friend tell me about the Haakaa, and how it uses suction to express milk. Cue Donovan making a late night trip to Target and getting THE LAST ONE OF THE SHELF. After a little trial and error (getting the right suction can be tricky) me and baby were both more comfortable during mealtime. 
There are pros and cons to this product, but like I said I will deep dive into why I have a love/hate relationship with it in another post. Overall, I do think it's a great product to have, just do your own research.




Childbirth makes you thirsty, breastfeeding makes you parched.
Drinking lots of water while breastfeeding has so many benefits. From milk production, minimizing clogs, even helping with thrush, it's so important to stay hydrated. Might as well make downing the ounces more enjoyable by sipping from a cute bottle all day!
There are so many fun choices online. Gift yourself your favorite, you deserve it!

SassyCups Leopard Tumbler Cup | Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Leopard Print Skinny Tumbler with Straw | Cute Travel Mug For Women with Leopard Pattern | Pink Insulated Water Bottle (20 oz, Pink)




Something I wish I would've known is the way your body odor changes while breastfeeding. I started my natural deodorant journey once I found out I was pregnant. My mom and sister had made the switch years ago and kept telling me all the benefits, so carrying a baby seemed like the perfect time to finally start! Knowing that I wanted to breastfeed, I also wanted to rid my body of any aluminum and other not so good for you ingredients that close to my lymph nods and milk ducts. When I said your body odor changes...some days you will be radiating a scent you didn't even know you could produce! While it may be unpleasant, your baby doesn't care. This is actually your body's way of naturally helping your little one find it's food.
I've gone through my fair share of deodorants during this natural journey, and these two are by far my favorites. They last (some days require a double application), come in an array of fun scents, and don't burn or irritate the underarm area.




The hospital provided this, and tbh I was a little skeptical at first. While I did end up using it a couple times at home, it wasn't my favorite postpartum product. I chose to include it because it did provide relief, and may work better for someone than it worked for me. Benzocaine and menthol provide immediate cooling relief, while aloe and lanolin help to moisturize. Like I said, this product technically does what it claims to do, I just found the products listed above worked better on my skin, my situation down there, and ultimately provided me more comfort.




YOUR MOM
Selfexplainable, but necessary to mention.
Your partner is great, family and friends are too, but no one will truly comfort you the way your mom does during this time. She's been through it, maybe even multiple times, and just provides that "mom touch" to situations we sometimes take for granted. My mom helped me tremendously throughout my postpartum healing. If you're fortunate enough to have your mom around during this time, cherish it. You will form a new bond, and a new appreciation for everything she went through for you.




Just like birth, everyone's postpartum experience is different. Mine was hard. While I was fortunate enough to have an "easy" time in labor, my recovery once home wasn't. 
I may not know how your postpartum journey will turn out, but I can ensure that these products will help you heal and provide comfort in a not so comfortable time!

Just remember, your mental recovery is just as important as your physical. You can have all the products to make your first few weeks at home smoother, however you can honestly never fully prepare for the emotions and changes you continue to go through once baby is out. The fourth trimester is real. A solid support system is just as necessary as the products above.





0 comments