Behind the Glam; 32 flavors of Valerie


As a makeup artist and lover alike, I've always been curious of what celebrity and other makeup artist used on their clients. With the use of social media it is easy to get caught up in the latest and "greatest" products the hottest bloggers are talking about, however some of those products aren't worth the hype.
That is why I wanted to start this series, behind the glam, to show you some of my favorite products I use on clients, reasoning behind them, and to prove you don't always need million dollar products to create million dollar looks!



Not only do I love glamming Valerie, but I love using her face to experiment with different looks. #bestieduties This little glam sesh was a secret, for we came together to create an anniversary present for her boyfriend, taking inspiration from one of his paintings (which you can check out here ). Once Valerie told me the idea, I knew I wanted to create something different than our typical glam; something more whimsical and modern! 

Of course I wanted to keep her signature cat eye, and knew that adding a bold, neutral toned cut crease was a fun twist that really accentuated her eyes. -- To achieve the perfect wing, I went with one of my favs (and Val's too), Fluid Line by MAC. This liner is super opaque, meaning you won't have to apply multiple coats to achieve the blackest black. The gel formula also helps it glide on without skips or breaks.


For lashes I used two of my favorite products you can find at your local drugstore; Maybelline, Great Lash Macara, and Ardell Lashes. I absolutely adore this brand of lashes for many reasons, the number one being they're great for all levels of lash lovers. The thin, bendable band makes application simple and effortless, and you can't beat the price!


To contour Valerie's face, I used a combination of both creams and powders. While this may seem like a lot of makeup for everyday wear, cocktailing the products together not only photographs beautifully, but enhances the natural contours of the face better than just doing one or the other, alone. -- For creams, I used the HD Concealers from L.A Girl, and the 28F Palette from Morphe Brushes. Both are super inexpensive, super blend-able  and pack on great pigment! My favorite thing about palettes and creams is how you can mix the different shades to create the perfect color for every skin tone. -- and of course, I never leave home without my Anastasia Beverly Hills, Contour Kit. The powders in this kit are ammmaazinnnggg. Seriously, they're so buttery and blend-able your contours never look muddy, and the lighter shades set highlighted areas seamlessly  Another reason this kit is one of my all-time favorites; the powders are muti-fuctional, they make great neutral colored eye shadows as well!


Now for that pop of color on the lips! I thought a bright, fun lip was the perfect compliment to the concept of this shoot. Naturally, I chose Candy Yum-Yum by MAC. Blue based, this lippie seriously looks good on ever-y-one, and the matte formula ensures long lasting coverage. 

// check out what other products I used below*



*products used:

eyes;
URBAN DECAY: Primer Potion- Sin (matte finish, perfect for matte eye looks)
LORAC: Au Naturel (brow bone)
STILA: Linen (transition shade)
BH COSMETICS: 28 Neutral Palette- Gray shade (cut crease/smoke out lower lash line)
URBAN DECAY: Naked 2 (blend cut crease)
MAC: Soft Brown (warm up eye)
NYX: Wonder Pencil- Light (prep lid)
STILA: Pure (lid)
MAC: Fluid Line- Black
MAYBELLINE: Great Lash Mascara
ARDELL: Whispies 
NYX: Eyebrow Cake Powder- Dark Brown

face;
SMASHBOX: Photo Finish Primer
URBAN DECAY: De-Slick in a Tube (t-zone/oily areas)
BENEFIT: Erase Paste- 02 (conceal under eye)
L.A. Girl: HD Concealer- Natural (conceal)
MORPHE BRUSHES: 28F Palette- Light shades (to highlight)
L.A. Girl: HD Concealer- Almond (to contour)
ANASTASIA BH: Banana (set concealer/highlighted areas)
ANASTASIA BH: Havana (set/deepen contours)
BEN NYE: Banana Powder (to "bake" highlights)
MAC: Studio Fix Powder (set base)
STILA: Custom Color Blush- Pink
LOVE & BEAUTY: Champagne Illuminator (tops of cheeks/inner corners of eyes)
SEPHORA: Light Beam (added highlight)
MAKEUP FOR EVER: Mist & Fix- Setting Spray

lips;
NYX: Lip Liner- Dolly Pink
MAC: Candy Yum-Yum





*finished edits & photos by: Jason of WMS Photography


















0 comments