B A C K 2 B A S I C S



At the beginning of the month I mentioned how I was finally feeling like myself after a creative rut, and I like to think this look was my saving grace!


Instead of dwelling on the lack of creativity I was experiencing, I switched up my mindset and decided to go back to basics, my classic smokey eye.
 Because what makes you feel more like you than your favorite glam?!

Smokey eyes come in all forms, colors, and intensities. I wanted to use colors that felt natural to me while switching up the technique. Instead of focusing the darkest color on the lid to create a blown out look, I opted for a gradient effect towards the temples. Having round eyes, extending the darkest color past the outer corner (think the same way you would wing liner) helps to elongate and fake the appearance of a more almond eye shape. Personally I always skip liner when doing a smokey eye on myself, so this trick also helps to define the eyes.



To achieve this look I literally used one palette, Urban Decay's Naked Basics! I could go on forever about the many reasons why this palette is a ride or die, but the main being its versatility. Whether it be it's sleek slim size which is perfect for travel, or the amount of looks you can achieve with its six velvety shades. These shadows are ideal for creating a smokey eye for they blend together seamlessly. Staying true to the matte theme, I chose to keep the rest of the look matte as well; with the obvious exception of a fierce cheekbone highlight. Finishing off with one of my favorite liquid lipsticks, Celebrity Skin by Jeffree Star Cosmetics.





Nude lips give me life! However you shouldn't be hesitant to pair your smokey eye with a darker, or even bolder lip. Just as your shouldn't follow the rules with it comes to the color of your smokey eye. Makeup doesn't have to be one way or the other. As long as there is a cohesive theme, whether it be in tone or texture, and a lot of confidence your look will look good. So if you want to rock a bold purple smokey eye and dark burgundy lip, then slay that look girl! You'll probably inspire someone else to slay it too.










*products used:
eyes;
LA GIRL: Pro HD Concealer (prime)
MAC: Studio Fix Powder- NC40 (set concealer/ transition shade)
URBAN DECAY: Naked Basics Palette-
Foxy (brow bone highlight)
Naked 2 (crease/ lid color)
Faint (transition shade on outer lid)
Crave (darkest shade on outer lid/corner)
ANASTASIA BH: Starlight Illuminator (inner corner highlight)
COVERGIRL: Lash Blast Mascara
ARDELL: Wispies
NYX: Micro Brow Pencil- Ebony


lower lash line;
JORDANA: Eyeliner- Blackest Black (water line)
URBAN DECAY: Naked Basics Palette-
Crave (blend out liner)
Naked 2 (smoke out black/ lash line)
MAC: Studio Fix Powder- NC40 (blend harsh edges)
MAYBELLINE: Great Lash Mascara


face;
CLINIQUE: Dramatically Different Moisturizer (hydrate & prime)
MAYBELLINE: Better Skin Foundation
LA GIRL: HD Concealer- Beautiful Bronze (contour)
NYX: Dark Circle Eraser (conceal darkness under eyes)
LA GIRL: HD Concealer- Porcelain (conceal/ highlight)
RCMA: Translucent Powder (set/bake under eye/ highlights)
BENEFIT: Hoola Bronzer
HOT MAKEUP: Galaxy Season Blush
ANASTASIA BH: Starlight Illuminator

lips;

MAC: Lip Liner- Spice
JEFFREE STAR COSMETICS: Velour Liquid Lipstick- Celebrity Skin









0 comments